Yoga Instructors are knowledgeable of a variety of exercise techniques and lead fitness classes.Instructors work in a health and wellness setting with both healthy and motivated participants who are able to exercise independently.
Yoga Instructors are knowledgeable and educated in various exercise techniques, and can supervise participants and lead fitness classes. The Instructor works in a health and wellness setting with both healthy and motivated participates who are able to exercise independently. The instructor promotes health-related physical fitness, helps manage health risk, and encourages lasting health behavior change for all group exercise participants.
- Must have at least 1-2 year experience in the fitness, wellness, and exercise fields
- Must be comfortable teaching, demonstrating, and performing group exercise classes
- Must be able to modify class format and style dependent on class participants
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- CPR, First Aid, AED (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
- New Employee Orientation (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
- Department Specific Redwoods Trainings (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
- Preferred Group Exercise Certification from a nationally recognized institution (AFAA, ACSM, etc.)
- Attend required Silver Sneaker Workshops
*It is the responsibility of the employee to obtain and maintain all certifications required to perform this position, in accordance with PAV YMCA guidelines.
- Create and ensure safe and welcoming environment
- Ability to enforce policies, problem solve and handle emergency situations
- Ability to assist and communicate with all populations of people regardless of race, age, and special needs
- Demonstrate the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Attend trainings when appropriateSupport YMCA special events, signature events, and campaigns
- Support YMCA special events, signature events, and campaigns
- Perform all tasks to the best of your ability and with a positive attitude
- Arrive 5-10 minutes before each exercise class and stay 5-10 minutes after to socialize with participants and answer any questions
- Clean up and put away any exercise equipment and/or mats used for class
- Stay aware of participants’ health issues and instructor safe and proper technique, etc.
- Walk around and talk with members and guests and get to know their fitness goals and backgrounds
- Willing to substitute for other instructors (class dependent) during their times of absence
- Continually educating oneself and staying aware of new fitness trends
- Take proper class attendance and report class size and attendances to Health and Wellness Director
- Respond quickly and efficiently to emergencies or any injury that occurs
- Other duties assigned by the Health and Wellness Director, Senior Program/Membership Director and/or Executive Director
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and completed Employment Application to:
Health & Wellness Director
708.740.0606 ext 320