SilverSneakers Instructors are knowledgeable of a variety of exercise techniques and lead fitness classes.
Instructors work in a health and wellness setting with both healthy and motivated participants who are able to exercise independently.
The instructor promotes health-related physical fitness, helps manage health risk, and encourages lasting health behavior change for all group exercise participants. SilverSneakers members represent a “special population” with unique health histories and exercise goals. Instructors need to be extra patient, aware, and mindful of the limitations this population faces.
- Must have at least 1-2 year experience in the fitness, wellness, and exercise fields
- Must be comfortable teaching, demonstrating, and performing group exercise classes
- Must be able to modify class format and style dependent on class participants
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- CPR, First Aid, AED (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
- New Employee Orientation (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
- Department Specific Redwoods Trainings (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
- Preferred Group Exercise Certification from a nationally recognized institution (AFAA, ACSM, etc.)
- Attend required Silver Sneaker Workshops
*It is the responsibility of the employee to obtain and maintain all certifications required to perform this position, in accordance with PAV YMCA guidelines.
- Create and ensure safe and welcoming environment
- Ability to enforce policies, problem solve and handle emergency situations
- Ability to assist and communicate with all populations of people regardless of race, age, and special needs
- Demonstrate the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Attend trainings when appropriateSupport YMCA special events, signature events, and campaigns
- Support YMCA special events, signature events, and campaigns
- Perform all tasks to the best of your ability and with a positive attitude
- Arrive 5-10 minutes before each exercise class and stay 5-10 minutes after to socialize with participants and answer any questions
- Clean up and put away any exercise equipment and/or mats used for class
- Stay aware of participants’ health issues and instructor safe and proper technique, etc.
- Walk around and talk with members and guests and get to know their fitness goals and backgrounds
- Willing to substitute for other instructors (class dependent) during their times of absence
- Continually educating oneself and staying aware of new fitness trends
- Take proper class attendance and report class size and attendances to Health and Wellness Director
- Respond quickly and efficiently to emergencies or any injury that occurs
- Other duties assigned by the Health and Wellness Director, Senior Program/Membership Director and/or Executive Director
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and completed Employment Application to:
Health & Wellness Director
708.740.0606 ext 320