Group Exercise Instructors are knowledgeable of a variety of exercise techniques and lead fitness classes.
The Group Exercise Instructor works in a health and wellness setting with both healthy and motivated participates who are able to exercise independently. The instructor promotes health-related physical fitness, helps manage health risk, and encourages lasting health behavior change for all group exercise participants.
• Must have at least 1-2 year experience in the fitness, wellness, and exercise fields
• Comfortable teaching, demonstrating and performing group exercise classes
• Able to modify class format and style dependent on class participants
• At least 16 years of age
• CPR, First Aid, AED (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
• New Employee Orientation (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
• Department Specific Redwoods Trainings (must obtain within 90 days of employment)
• Group Exercise Instructor Certification from an accredited association (YMCA, AFAA, ACSM, etc.)
• Specialized certifications preferred (class dependent)
*It is the responsibility of the employee to obtain and maintain all certifications required to perform this position, in accordance with PAV YMCA guidelines.
• Create and ensure safe and welcoming environment
• Ability to enforce policies, problem solve and handle emergency situations
• Ability to assist and communicate with all populations of people regardless of race, age, and special needs
• Demonstrate the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
• Attend training when appropriate
• Support YMCA special events, signature events, and campaigns
• Perform all tasks to the best of your ability and with a positive attitude
• Arrive 5-10 minutes before each exercise class and stay 10-15 minutes after to socialize with participants and answer any questions
• Clean up and put away any exercise equipment and/or mats used for class
• Stay aware of participants’ health issues and instructor safe and proper technique, etc.
• Walk around and talk with members and guests and get to know their fitness goals and backgrounds
• Willing to substitute for other instructors (class dependent) during their times of absence
• Continually educating oneself and staying aware of new fitness trends
• Take proper class attendance and report class size and attendances to Health and Wellness Director
• Respond quickly and efficiently to emergencies or any injury that occurs
• Other duties assigned by the Health & Wellness Director, Senior Program/Membership Director and/or Executive Director
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and completed Employment Application to:
Health & Wellness Director
708.740.0606 ext 320