LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a dynamic program designed to help adult cancer survivors reclaim their total health.
The Need: Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those affected.
Medical studies have shown that moderate levels of appropriate physical activity can reduce fatigue, boost self-esteem, improve muscle strength, and improve physical endurance in individuals following cancer treatment. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA was created to address the limited availability of physical activity programs specifically for cancer survivors.
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA fulfills the important need of supporting the increasing number of cancer survivors who find themselves in the transitional period between completing their cancer treatment and the shift to feeling physically and emotionally strong enough to attempt to return to their normal life or their "new normal."
Over the 12-week session, participants work with Pav YMCA staff trained in supportive cancer care in a comfortable workout environment. By focusing on the whole person, LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is helping people move beyond cancer care in spirit, mind, and body. We provide participants with the opportunity to improve physical health and it provides a supportive environment and a feeling of community with their fellow survivors, Pav YMCA staff, and members.
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility, balance, and endurance
- Improve ability to do everyday tasks
- Reduce the severity of therapy side effects
- Prevent unwanted weight changes
- Boost energy levels and self-esteem
- Meet new people at the Y
- Connect with other Cancer Survivors
Over time, participants develop a tailored physical fitness program so they can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle, not only as part of their recovery but as a way of life.
What People are Saying:
- Personally meet with the program coordinator to enroll
- Commit to attending 80% of the classes
- Inform your physician that you are joining the program
- Receive medical clearance if you are currently undergoing treatment
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is free to all cancer survivors. During the program survivors and immediate family receive three months of Pav YMCA membership at no cost. At the conclusion of the 12-week program, the joiner fee will be waived for any participant who wishes to continue their YMCA membership.
- Cancer survivors are defined as anyone from diagnosis through remission.
- Our program is recommended for individuals who have recently finished cancer treatment or any survivor looking to regain their health and well-being. Enrollment is handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Classes are held at the Pav YMCA; please see our program booklet for details.
- To register for LiveSTRONG at the YMCA or for more information, contact the Health and Wellness Department at ext. 320